December 27, 2010

100 things to watch in 2011

Posted by: in North America

Beer Sommeliers, F-Commerce, Objectifying Objects … just a few items from our list of 100 Things to Watch in 2011.

It’s a wide-ranging compilation that in part reflects broader shifts we’ve been tracking over the past few years, notably the evolution of the mobile phone into an “everything hub,” a trend we’ll see play out in myriad ways next year. Other items reflect counter-trends—for instance, to balance out our growing immersion in the digital world, people will increasingly embrace face-to-face gatherings and digital downtime.

Many of our Things to Watch are technology-centric, with smart infrastructure ramping up, the rise of tablets for tots and some truly futuristic-seeming developments (3D printing, virtual mirrors, electronic profiling). Web-wise, Things to Watch will include a growth in Facebook commerce, apps beyond mobile and more social browsers. The people on the list—from pop culture, sports, architecture, fashion and other sectors—have the potential to drive or shape trends in the near future.

Check out our list, along with a little bit about what makes each item worth watching, below. (Or to download the presentation with fully functioning links, click here.)

We’d love to hear your thoughts. Do you agree with our choices? What will you be watching for in 2011?

15 Responses to "100 things to watch in 2011"

1 | Joey

January 4th, 2011 at 11:27 am

Brilliant! Thanks for making and sharing this. It is truly a great intro to 2011, and (I say this humbly) is very bang-on.

All the best in 2011,
– Joey
@Sparksheet

2 | Edith Lemieux

January 4th, 2011 at 3:29 pm

Very inspiring, thank you can’t wait to use 3D printer!

3 | choeungjin

January 5th, 2011 at 10:52 pm

WoW!! it’s so great!!

4 | Mike Peterson

January 5th, 2011 at 11:43 pm

I find it ironic that I can’t read about the 100 things to watch for on my iPad. :(

5 | christine

January 6th, 2011 at 11:05 am

Hey Mike, we can send you the .ppt version which should work.

6 | Erik de Bruijn

January 8th, 2011 at 7:16 pm

Couldn’t agree more with #1, 3D printing! But it’s not just an opinion:
My research shows that it’s rapidly becoming a mainstream technology. 3D printing communities grow 16 fold in the time it takes computing capacity on chips to roughly double in capacity (Moore’s Law).

3D printing will create a world changing impact because it democratizes the ability to go from idea to actual product without large investments. Plus it will revolutionize supply chains, because we ship the model digitally and fabricate the physical object locally!

Twitter: @erikdebruijn

7 | Ray Martin

January 11th, 2011 at 11:52 am

hey christine, hi how are u ?

can you send me the ppt. version also i have problems with this version…

i´ll very grateful !

8 | Raimundo

January 11th, 2011 at 12:19 pm

Hi Christine,

i wonder if u can send me a ppt version of this presentation

i also can´t read about this interesting subject

ill be very grateful

thanks

rai.martinezl@gmail.com

9 | christine

January 11th, 2011 at 1:09 pm

Sure thing, Ray and Raimundo!

10 | Alan Roux

January 12th, 2011 at 10:03 am

I wonder if u can send me a ppt version of this presentation.
I also can’t see it.
I’ll be very grateful.
With thanks,
Alan Roux
alan@chefvaliant.co.za

11 | christine

January 12th, 2011 at 6:15 pm

Sent!

12 | Themba

January 13th, 2011 at 1:40 am

Hi Compliments of the new season

I tried to download twice yesterday after waiting for 35MB file to download each time nothing happens can you also e-mail me at tubhana@hotmail.com please .Thank in advance from RSA

13 | christine

January 13th, 2011 at 11:05 am

Themba, it’s been sent to you.

A few people have reported similar problems. If you’re having trouble downloading, you should try a different browser like Firefox.

Otherwise, you should be able to download it with no issues from the 2011 and beyond section of the site: http://jwtintel.jwt.com/2011-and-beyond/

14 | Mufaro

January 26th, 2011 at 6:57 pm

Hi Ann

Thanks for compiling this awesome list. I can already see some of the predicted trends for 2011 forming. Good stuff! Let’s see how many of these actually stick around to impact our world and communities.

BTW, is there any way readers can subscribe for this 100 things list every year? Please let me know.

Cheers

15 | christine

January 27th, 2011 at 3:48 pm

Hey Mufaro – you can sign up for weekly updates from us here: http://jwtintel.jwt.com/specialoffer.html

This way when the next report comes out next year, you’ll be sure to be notified.

Comment Form