Chinese international travel has tripled in the last 10 years to 130 million trips in 2017, with affluent, increasingly adventurous consumers setting the pace of travel retail, hotels and hospitality.
Traditional molds are changing. Singles, younger generations, and those from smaller cities are traveling, making this cohort a powerful, and moving, target. The Innovation Group’s China Outbound report helps you understand the world’s fastest-growing group of travelers and what it means for your brand.
Our report unearths the new motivations and aspirations behind Chinese travel and identifies 12 emerging types of Chinese travelers, from medical tourists to women travelers to foodies and adventure seekers. There are also filial travelers, treating their aged parents to an overseas holiday, and geopolitical travelers, who are inspired to visit places along the One Belt, One Road network of trade routes in the region.
The full report includes:
- Drivers and Deterrents to travel, including fear of discrimination
- Identification of 12 emerging types of Chinese travelers
- 27 pages of original infographics from a survey of 1,500 travelers from 16 Chinese cities, conducted in March 2018, just after the peak Chinese New Year travel season, by our in-house data unit SONAR™
- Exclusive interviews with travel industry experts and with Chinese travellers
- Five case studies including Alipay, Ctrip and boutique travel agency Beshan by WildChina
- The role of mobile payment apps
- The emergence of boutique, culture and adventure based travel agencies
- The emergence of niche sectors such as medical tourism, soul tourism and love tourism
- And more